Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Social media with age pressure

As you can see, this age pressure thingy has really got into me until I have to write another blog post on it...Basically, with the birth and amazing development of social media, the tension is obviously building... Some people even live two lives, one for social media and their real lives...

At my age, my social media timeline is practically filled with weddings (getting lesser now, most of the "friends" are married), babies and travel.. So, unconsciously.. I will start comparing myself to them...
5 years ago, I was comparing the relationship and marriage part where I will be thinking, why I am not seeing anybody? IS there anything wrong with me? Will I grow old alone? Am I not pretty enough?? Not attractive enough? This was a time where I was desperate for a relationship, being very very self-conscious about myself. But, being me, I was yearning for a romantic relationship but I don't think I did anything about it besides just starting to observe the boys around me and searching for boyfriend material.. apart from that, I did not expand my social circle nor did I open myself up to know people... So, the desperation stayed until it slowly faded off a while later...
3 years ago, I was self-conscious about my career... People who graduated with me are getting promotions, earning a heck lot of money traveling to various places that have been a dream to me... Or, there were people running their own business for a few years and it was finally taking off.. they are now enjoying the fruit of their hard work.. while here I am sitting in the office in my cubicle, replying Facebook comments which technically is not my job because at times there are questions that will be better to be answered by a customer service but I had to do it because I know the language.. I once said I will be working on a paycheque forever.. I don't like risks, I don't want to pump in funds worrying that I might lose them.. THEN I started thinking... is this right? Do I want to rely on a paycheque forever? Do I not want something I could call my own?? If I am on a paycheque, I just own the work but not the job... People say you can claim ownership of the work you have done for the company, I agree... but from my point of view, people will recognise it from the company's point of view and unless you are the face of the company, the credit will never reach you.. So... Do I want to change???
Then, last year, I saw another trend on social media... people showing off their keys to their property... which then again, triggered me... AGAIN... Owning a house has always been my dream, I know it may not be necessary for some but I really want to own a house and now the people around my age or within my generation are achieving that while I have no clue where to start... I don't even have the capacity to do it and that got me pretty stressed out...

I know that now people are constantly taking breaks off social media saying that's it's toxic and causing depression and stuff... but social media has been part of our lives already... some people can live without it but most people can't so what should you do?? Since I couldn't put off social media, I will have to deal with it... I will feel competitive and left out when I see people achieving what I dream to achieve but as years pass, I come to realise, we are all different... They may have achieved this but there are still things that they are striving to accomplish... Things that I have them done and dealt with... We never know... The social media is where people present the best, the part they want people to know them for, things that they are proud of so just look at it and don't think too much about it... Just tell yourself, I will get there, maybe later but I will get there... Treat it as a motivation and you can even treat it as a reference!! Oh, she bought a house, it's an open kitchen, that doesn't seem like a good idea, i need to get a hood, I guess I should note this down when I am looking at houses later... Or something like, Wow! this guy has a business! and he has some accounting issues, remind me to be organised with my accounts if I ever own a business... Social media is actually good depending on the way you view it...

So... I agree it does cause pressure... But we will have to be smart enough to turn the pressure into our advantage...

That's all I have to say.. This blog was in the draft for years!!! and it's finally out!!

Signing off
Toodles

No comments: