Friday, June 01, 2007

First week as a degree student....

Its the last day of my first week of school... i'll be starting my tutorials next week... let me give you a brief recap of what happened thruout the whole first week....

Monday: there's no classes so i guess there's nothing to share....

Tuesday: The first day of school... i got to know from a very helpful friend that my class starts at 9.30 so i left home at eight just in case i needed time to search for parking spaces... however there was no empty spaces along the road so i have to park at section 17 which is across the road.. the whole picture is... a "T" shape... my school is along the vertical line (those who know utar should know that they are all over the place....) and i parked at the horizontal line of the "T"... there's a road between the 2 lines.... so here's how it goes... i parked my car and walked to pc which is like the 3rd last(correct me if i'm wrong...) building in the row... what i'm trying to say is: "its a LONG way!!!!" so after i reached they block i went straight to the notice boards to check which tutorial group i'm in and started copying the timetable of my group.... after that... i have to walk to pg to attend my class, which is the first building in that row ( another long walk).... after 2 classes of pengajian malaysia... i walked back to pc to get my photo taken for the student id card.... THEN.... i walked back to where i parked my car.... guess how much i've walked????!!!! under the HOT sun!!!! it was an exhausting first day because i was sweating like... (cant put it in words) after i got into my car.... however i met a few old friends from foundation and made a few new friends....

Wednesday: since there are no tutorial classes on the first week so i only have 1 class on that day.... before the class, one of my friend ask me whether i would like to change my tutorial group because he got some friends who like to change and they are short of one more person to switch... under some circumstances, i would certainly like to switch group because most of my friends are in the other group... so i agreed and signed my name for the switch... it's not really approved yet... hopefully it'll be approved... Communicative English was kinda fun actually... i get to know a few more new friends that day....

thursday: thursday was a long day because i had classes from 8 till 5... therefore, i'll have to go to school early and lucky for me i got a parking space right in front of the school... haha, lucky me... introduction to mass comm was kinda boring cuz we got a blur lecturer which i assume he himself is not sure about what he's talking about... luckily i learnt a bit of the theories in writing for mass communication during foundation so i got to understand the whole idea from start... he keeps giving examples and repeats the same thing over and over... for instance: in communication, there'll be a sender, receiver, message, channel, noise and feedback.... you can actually explain all of them by giving one example... "the lecturer(sender) is announcing that there'll be no class next week(message) for the broadcasting students(receiver) thru a microphone(channel), during the announcement, the microphone is not functioning well(noise) so the students ask the lecturer to repeat the announcement(feedback)... isn't it simple??? the poor lecturer is giving examples for each and every element.... sigh... it's more confusing that way... and it wastes time too!!!! Then, it's time for our elective class... we are given a choice to choose either japanese or chinese(i believe i mentioned that a gazilion times already...) for our elective... i chose japanese cuz i already know chinese and there's no disadvantages at all for a broadcasting student to learn an extra language.... so i signed up for the japanese class... and quite a number of students showed up for the japanese class as well... some of my friends continue with chinese because they are afraid that they cant catch up with a new language... however, the lecturer said that japanese is going to be very hard if we don't put effort and we'll have to memorise all the hiragana and katagana characters (50 each) within 2 weeks.... and basic greetings, numbers and classroom vocabs by next week... after hearing that a few students started to think whether they made the right choice and the lecturer let them go and try out for the chinese class... a few of them left and did not come back... i however stayed because i always wanted to learn a new language and i wanted to take the challenge and proceed until japanese 4.... hahaha.... wish me luck...

Friday: which is today... also 1 class only due to no tutorial classes... broadcasting was a fun subject for me as we get to shoot documentaries and create our own radion stations as assignments.... before our class the lecturer suddenly announced that she would like to see two people... which includes me!!!!!! being very surprised cuz i have never been called out during lectures went to the front to see what's the matter... the leturer said the other girl and me have to attend a certain LAN accreditation briefing (HP, do you know anything bout that????) but why me and her only???? it's getting kinda scary now... i'll have to attend that briefing on monday... (yikes!!! that's my rest-day!!) hopefully i'm not in trouble.... luckily the girl who's going with me is someone i know.... hehe...
that's all bout my first week... will update more about my degree life after this.... stay tuned!!!!

No comments: